Professor Charles Spence is the Crossmodal Research Laboratory Head at the Department of Experimental Psychology, Oxford University. He studies how the human brain manages to process and analyze external stimuli to create vibrant multisensory experiences. Charles has published over 500 articles over the last 15 years and has been recognized for his skills and contribution in cognitive science. He is also the author of the book Sensehacking: How to Use the Power of Your Senses for Happier, Healthier Living, where he writes about how everyday objects affect our wellbeing.
Charles joins me today to discuss how the senses affect one another in what are called cross-modal effects, and why sound is getting more attention when it comes to branding and product design. He describes scenarios of how sound affects the way we perceive the taste of our food or our decisions throughout the day. He explains the concept of super-additivity, where adding congruent sensory messages creates a powerful multiplier effect, and shares real-world applications. He reveals how music is being used in healthcare spaces and how it aids physicians and patients. Charles also describes the importance of multisensory congruence in space design, including for our homes.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Just because you are not aware of sound, doesn’t mean it’s not there, going to your brain and affecting you.”Charles Spence
This week on the Sound Business Podcast:
- How many senses does the human body really have?
- Charles’ insights on how our senses interact with each other.
- How overloading our senses can affect our perception of reality, especially our taste.
- Achieving super-additivity in our everyday lives.
- What Charles discovered about our senses in healthcare facilities.
- How music can improve medical treatment and pain relief.
- Why sound is not paid much attention when it comes to product design.
- How various industries are utilizing sound as part of their branding.
- Charles’ tips for designing your home based on your senses.
Connect with Charles Spence:
- Book: Sensehacking: How to Use the Power of Your Senses for Happier, Healthier Living
- Charles Spence on LinkedIn
Boosting Business Success with the Power of Sound
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Sound Business. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more listeners, like you.