Sound is a huge topic and it’s worth unpacking. Understanding some of the distinctions related to sound can help you to listen more productively so you can discover how to leverage different types of sound for marketing your business, increasing your profits, and even helping your employees be more productive during their workday.
Many people do not realize that sound plays an incredible role in every aspect of our lives – from the speed at which we eat, walk, run, and drive to how long we linger in a store or how well we concentrate at work. So, what are the things business owners should consider when thinking about how to use sound to boost business success?
Today, we distinguish the varieties of sound we encounter every day – from the ambient sound of a quiet room to nature’s music during a wind storm and the bustling sound of a busy office. We explore ways of categorising sound, whether geophony, biophony, and anthrophony or intentional sounds and unintentional sounds. And we discover the five different aspects of any sound – and how understanding and considering them can help you optimise the way the sound works for your business.
“Time, pitch, texture, density, and dynamics – focus on those one at a time and you can start to tease out the effects of any sound.”Julian Treasure
This week on the Sound Business Podcast:
- The difference between geophony, biophony, and anthrophony
- Understanding biophilic sound
- What intentional versus unintentional sound is
- The three main categories of intentional sound
- The time, pitch, texture, density, and dynamics of sound
- The voice of the natural world – Bernie Krause, TEDGlobal 2013
- Research shows sound can influence how people taste food – TheWorld